A wedding toast is a daunting task for most people.
Even guys with self-confidence to spare and experience in public speaking, get nervous when faced with the task of speaking at a wedding. This is a day that the bride and groom (and their closest relatives) will remember for the rest of their lives – and you are playing a big part in that day.
Therefor it’s completely understandable to be nervous about it – most people would be. But if you prepare a good speech that you feel comfortable with it should take some of the pressure off – and maybe even leave some room for you to have a good time at the wedding!
So how do you make sure yours is one of those speeches that will be remembered?
PURPOSE OF THE SPEECH
As the best man you are expected to be the one who knows the groom most and as such you should shed some insight into the grooms personality as well as your own relationship to him. The speech should be suited to your own personality so as to not be experienced as fake in any way. If you are a funny guy you can rely a lot on humor to make it successful, but it shouldn’t seem forced. The best man speech is traditionally expected to have some jokes, but make sure they are fitting for the situation.
To put it in simple terms you will know that you have succeeded when you have made not only the listeners – but also yourself – feel good and have a great time. No biggie, right?
KEY POINTS TO PREPARATION
- Give the audience some insight to the groom. For instance by telling a story about some episode you experienced with the groom that not many people know about.
- As the best man speech is expected to have some humor in it, make sure you tell some jokes – but make them original and fitting. Don’t just copy jokes you’ve found on the internet – or at least rewrite them to give them your own touch.
- Make sure you are comfortable with what you are saying. If you in any way unsure, it will shine through in your demeanor and make it uncomfortable for the audience as well. If you are really unsure about the reception of a particular joke or line, maybe it’s best to leave it out?
- If you want to tell some embarrassing secrets about the groom just make sure that it is not hurtful in any way – make it light-hearted.
- Remember to say some nice things about the bride. Tell her how beautiful she looks and how you feel she has impacted the groom.
- While there are examples of successful speeches that are humorous throughout, try to add some notes of sincerity as well.
- Remember that it is your job to thank the guests for coming. You should also make sure to give special thanks to the people who made the wedding possible – the bride’s parents usually put on the wedding so make sure you thank them in particular.
- End with a toast.
If you follow these simple points you should be able to write a speech that will be remembered – for all the right reasons and not the wrong ones. Make sure you also check out these video examples for more inspiration.